INDIVIDUALITY

INDIVIDUALITY IS ONE OF THE GREATEST TREASURES YOU WILL EVER DISCOVER

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

So...What Do You Do? (Part 1)

We live in a culture filled with endless ambitions. Sometimes juggling two or three things at once, hoping at least one of those things will be "IT". Everyone is constantly moving to and fro, with schedules overbooked like salons (ladies you know what I'm talking about). We move so fast, almost walking right through one another as if we were ghosts. Our hands permanently cupped into the shapes of Starbucks coffee and IPHONES. We forget to look up cause "we gotta get to the money". Our hearts almost skipping beats because of our fast paced routines. Everyone is reaching for the stars and whatever they think is beyond that point. Anxiety sets in deeper each day. School, work, kids, work, kids, work, school, work, overtime and oh yeah, work! The pressure of status and positions and achievements. The competitions that secretly lives beneath the left side of our shirt or blouse. This is what we see in this generation. So I was not surprised when someone asked me the famous question.....

So, what do YOU do? Since this generation is also about keeping it 100, I have to be honest and tell you that I swallowed real hard as my mind tried to configure a smart and intelligent way to say, "I'm just a scheduler at Kaiser". Now to paint a picture for you, it didn't help that this person had on a nice crisp suit, briefcase and the whole business "shebang". Sometimes we all feel like this person just might have a lot more going on than us or is somehow better. For all I know he could have been coming from a funeral or court (lol).  But, this is naturally what happens inside our mind. But after I walked away from this conversation disappointed, I thought to myself, "Why did you say that? Why did you say I'm just a scheduler?"

Whatever it is you do, whether you work at McDonald's, Comcast, Winco Foods, or a stay at home mom(I almost said Just a stay at home mom), you play a significant role in society. You may feel its just a small piece of the puzzle, but each job is needed to function properly. You maybe doing something for a season or two, but you should own it. These positions actually have categories like Customer service, Sales, retail, etc. The stay at home mom is a teacher and so much more, which we'll talk more about in part 2! Now I can't lie I've tried to figure out different ways to describe my position like, "I'm a Radiology scheduler or I work in Radiology" (Can we keep it real). But I will no longer say "I'm just a..."because again, there is much more to me than scheduling appointments in Radiology!

So, I encourage you all to delete that word from you vocabulary at least when describing yourself. If you are currently unemployed think about what you usually do or what you like to do and own it. We can all learn a lesson from Mike Epp's character, DEDE, in Friday after Next. He wasn't just a security guard. Let him tell it he was a"Top Flight" security guard, even though he didn't even carry a gun, just a flashlight! So as you prepare to start your day wherever you are in your life, whatever you do or wherever you're trying to go, put on your "Top Flight" mentality and play your part!

God bless..
Part 2 will be up tomorrow morning!

4 comments:

  1. Very well said. That feeling you speak of when you see someone else and assume they are better than you is crippling! What do I do? I am a proud State employee! Thanks for the words, Mo. Read you in the morning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great perspective on a subject that truly gets too little attention. One of my best "stories" from my years as a Coordinator of home care workers, was when a "just a CNA" saved my career by providing impeccable care to a wealthy family in Orinda. She also happened to be Black; which the client initially rejected. SO, whenever I heard a Certified Nursing Assistant say that "just" word, I would lovingly correct them. Monique, you are a valuable member of the care support team. Believe me when I tell you that....Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u guys Stay tuned for part 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a topic that's rarely touched on, cant wait to read part 2

    ReplyDelete